Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This mouth-watering meatloaf and chutney combo makes a simple but satisfying supper dish any day of the week.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 2 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg white
- 3 1⁄2 ounces breadcrumbs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
For the chutney
- 7⁄8 cup red wine vinegar
- 6 ounces brown sugar
- 8 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 red chilies, deseeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 6 basil leaves, shredded
- Heat oil and butter in a pan. Add all the chopped vegetables, the garlic and chili powder and cook for 5 minutes, until softened. Remove from the heat and add the thyme.
- Place the ground beef in a large bowl; stir in the vegetables, egg white and breadcrumbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Set the oven to 350°F Lightly butter a loaf tin or terrine mould with a 2lb capacity and place the ground beef mixture into it, making sure the surface is level. Place in a roasting pan filled with water and cook for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and then place a wooden board over the top of the meatloaf to weigh it down and leave to cool. Once cooled, flip the meatloaf out onto a plate and slice.
- broil the sliced meatloaf and serve with mashed potato and green beans that have been tossed in Dijon mustard, olive oil and lemon juice.
- To make the chili chutney, boil the sugar and vinegar together until the mixture has formed a syrup.
- Add the tomatoes, and simmer on a low heat for 40 minutes. Add the chilies and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. Stir in the lime juice and the shredded basil. Serve with the meatloaf.