Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
From America's Test Kitchen. Very good meatloaf wrapped in bacon and covered with a slightly sweet ketchup sauce.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 lbs ground meat (can be a mixture)
- 2⁄3 cup saltine crackers, crushed or 2⁄3 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄3 cup parsley, fresh minced
- 6 -8 ounces bacon, thin sliced (8-12 slices)
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup or 1⁄2 cup chili sauce
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar or 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- Glaze: Mix all ingredients and set aside.
- Meat loaf:.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in medium skillet and sauté onion and garlic about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix eggs with thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, pepper sauce and milk.
- Add egg mixture to meat in large bowl, along with crackers, parsley and cooked onion and garlic.
- Mix until mixture does not stick to the bowl, if mixture sticks to bowl add milk by tablespoons until it does not stick.
- Shape into loaf.
- Place on foil lined pan, for easy clean-up.
- Brush with half the glaze.
- Arrange bacon slices crosswise over the top of loaf overlapping, tucking in bacon ends under loaf.
- Bake until bacon is crisp and internal temperature registers 160°F, about 1 hour.
- Cool at least 20 minutes.
- Simmer remaining glaze over medium heat until slightly thickened.
- Slice meatloaf and serve with extra glaze.
Clearly it has the best blend of flavors I have found in the "old favorite" recipe of meatloaf. Well done!
Can I mix the glaze inside of the meatloaf?
It is in the oven right now but I added some ketchup and more Worchester sauce in my meat. I also put maple bacon on top of meatloaf. Hopefully this will be as good as everyone says.. I Love me some meatloaf..... It smells so good right now only 40 minutes left...