Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I was playing around with my meatloaf recipe to make it more healthy. This is the result, and we loved it - perhaps more than the original recipe. I use the whole wheat/wheat germ options for fiber, and fresh home made spicy salsa for a fresh taste. The nonfat half and half helps keep the low fat meat very moist.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round (lean 10% fat)
- 1 slice bread (I use whole wheat bread)
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half (I use fat free)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup salsa, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Spray a loaf pan with vegetable spray.
- Gently break up ground beef in large bowl.
- In separate small bowl, shred bread slice into small pieces.
- Add half and half, mash bread in the half and half with a fork.
- Add egg, 4 tbsp of salsa, dried onion flakes, bread crumbs (or wheat germ), and salt.
- Stir with fork and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Add half and half mixture to ground beef.
- Stir gently to combine.
- Place beef into loaf pan, forming to fit and smoothing the top.
- Pour remainder of salsa on top of the meat loaf and spread out to cover.
- Bake until done, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let rest about 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
This meatloaf turned out quite nice. Had friend over for dinner and she loved it! I only changed one thing, I did not top the loaf with the salsa, instead, I sliced the loaf, plated and then topped with the salsa. I don't eat meat anymore but I had to just taste-test and I agree with my friend..Wonderful!