Recipe by Tish
Here is a meatloaf that will bite back! Adjust the spices to make it hotter or cooler, depending on personal taste.
Top Review by love4culinary
This meatloaf is pretty good. I think I would have liked more garlic, more green onion, and maybe some more worcesterchire sauce. It wasnt quite the texture that Im use to seeing in a meatloaf, but it was nice, moist and tasty. I will use this recipe again, maybe altering a few of the ingredients. I like the bite that this meatloaf has :-) I bite back! ;-) hehe
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium sweet green pepper, cored,seeded and chopped
- 2 green onions, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 ounces lean ground pork shoulder
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mix onion, celery, green pepper, green onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt, peppers, cumin, nutmeg, Worcestershire, hot red pepper sauce in a medium size bowl.
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet over moderate heat.
- Add the vegetable spice mixture and cook uncovered for about 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until the onions and peppers are soft.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Discard the bay leaves.
- Stir in the milk, ketchup and bread crumbs In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, eggs and bread crumb mix.
- Pack the meat mixture into a greased 9 X 5 X 3 loaf pan.
- (*Atthis point the meatloaf can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months to use when you need a dish already to shove in the oven. Thaw before cooking) Bake the meatloaf, uncovered for 50- 55 minutes or until it is dark brown and pulls away from the sides of the loaf pan.
- Slice to desired thickness and serve.