1 hr 20 mins
Tired of meatloaf you say? Then wait until you taste this wonderful creation that a friend made for me a few years ago. I begged for the recipe. I admit, I have not ventured to make this myself because my family doesn't care for meatloaf, but I can certainly vouch for the outstanding taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef (must be lean so there will not be too much fat seeping out of pastry)
- 1/2 lb ground veal
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped finely
- 3/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) package puff pastry
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef consomme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce (optional)
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 1/2 cup madeira wine
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1In a bowl, beat 2 eggs, ketchup, season salt, Worcestershire, mustard and pepper.
- 2Crumble meat over mixture and mix well.
- 3Sprinkle with onion and bread crumbs; mix gently.
- 4Shape into two loaves, about 9 in x 3 inches.
- 5On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet into an 18in x 16in rectangle.
- 6Invert meat loaves and place in center of each pastry; fold short sides of pastry over loaf.
- 7Fold long sides over loaf and pastry seal seams.
- 8Place, seam side down, on a rack in a large baking pan.
- 9Beat remaining egg; brush over pastry.
- 10Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 70 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160-170 degrees.
- 11Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in saucepan.
- 12Whisk in flour until smooth.
- 13Stir in the consommé, tomato paste, thyme rosemary browning sauce and cloves.
- 14Bring to a boil;cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 15Stir in wine.
- 16In a skillet, sauté mushrooms in oil until tender.
- 17Serve the mushrooms and sauce over meatloaf slices.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatloaf Wellington With Madeira Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.4
- Calories from Fat 325
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 131.0 mg
- Sodium 622.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 24.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: