Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Another recipe from "Tastes of Home" cooking magazine. I have not tried this dish yet but wanted to post it so I don't lose it. It makes an elegant dish that you can serve to guests. The Taste of Home serve it in their restaurant (Greendale, Wisconsin) and it is the number one requested recipe according to their article.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground veal
- 3⁄4 lb ground pork
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef consomme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1 dash clove
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a bowl beat 2 eggs, ketchup, seasoned salt, worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper.
- Crumble meat over mixture and mix well. Sprinkle with onion and bread crumbs; mix gently. Shape into two loaves.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet into an 18-inch. x 16-inch. rectangle. Invert meatloaves and place in center of each pastry; fold short sides of pastry over loaf.
- Fold long sides over loaf and seal seams. Place seam side down on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Beat remaining egg and brush over each pastry loaf. Bake at 350°F for 60-70 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160-170°F.
- MADEIRA SAUCE:.
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Stir in the consommé, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, browning sauce and cloves.
- Bring to a boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened, stir in the Madeira wine.
- In a frying pan, sauté mushrooms in olive oil until tender.
- Serve the mushrooms and sauce over the meatloaf slices.