Recipe by LizP
I got this recipe from Taste Of Home. It is so good and very easy. It is so impressive, you can serve it to company. It is just outstanding. The original recipe called for beef, pork and veal. I just use beef.
Top Review by bolingc
This is the only meatloaf I will be making from now on. I have looked and looked for a flavorful meatloaf, and finally I have found it! Excellent flavor and the sauce/gravy makes it special enough to serve to company.
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
madeira wine sauce
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef consomme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon browning sauce (optional)
- 1 dash clove
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, beat 2 eggs, ketchup, seasoned salt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper.
- Crumble beef over and mix well.
- Sprinkle with onion and bread crumbs; mix gently.
- Shape into two loaves, about 9-inches x 3-inches.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each pastry sheet into an 18-inch x 16-inch rectangle.
- Invert meat loaves and place in center of each pastry; fold short sides of pastry over loaf. Fold long sides over loaf and.
- pastry seal seams.
- Place, seam side down, on a rack in a 15-inch x 10-inch x 1-inch baking pan.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over pastry.
- Bake at 350°F for 60 to 70 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, melt butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Stir in the consomme, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, browning sauce, if desired and cloves.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in wine or broth.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in oil until tender.
- Serve the mushrooms and sauce over meat loaf slices.