Recipe by kzbhansen
This is one of my specialties! I'm not a meatloaf fan, but this is to die for! I hope you enjoy. I usually make 2 loaves and freeze the second one for a later use, then thaw, wrap and cook.
Top Review by Chef Jeff
This is one of my favorites.. but my family does not like the sage taste of the poultry seasoning. I have modified this recipe by making a flat 8"X13" 1/2" thick meatloaf on a cookie sheet then putting the pastry around it in a casserole dish. I may try different seasonings in the future... but I love the sage taste.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 slices white bread, crusts removed and torn into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) packagesfrozen patty shell pastry dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, slices and cooked (I cook in butter and garlic)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten with
- 2 teaspoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease a loaf pan.
- Combine egg and milk. Add bread crumbs, onion, celery, seasonings, beef, and pine nuts. Place into the loaf pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool and remove from the pan.
- If you freeze allow it to thaw out completely before you continue on with the rest of the steps.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Let pastry stand out a room temperature for about 25 minutes. Form into a ball.
- Combine the mushrooms and cheese and spread on the top of the meat loaf.
- Roll out the pastry to about 18x12-inches. Wrap the meat loaf. Use the egg with 2 T water to seal the edges and to brush the top and sides of the loaf with.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before carving.