Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This adds a upbeat taste to a traditional dinner. Goes great with mashed potatoes and green beans. Nice for a weekend dinner! Great tip: Freeze or refrigerate leftovers to make meat loaf sandwiches for lunch or a snack. They are great!
- 1 lb ground round (may substitute with hamburger, ground chuck, ground sirloin)
- barbecue sauce (a bottle)
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg (may use 2 egg whites instead of whole egg)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet French onion soup mix
- Start out with a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Chop 1/2 onion and place in mixing bowl.
- Chop 1/2 green pepper and place in mixing bowl.
- Add ground round, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, French Onion Soup mix, egg into the mixing bowl.
- Mix well.
- Add 1/2 bottle of barbecue sauce to the mixture and mix well.
- Form the mixture into a square or loaf. (I usually form it to the pan I am using).
- Slice the remaining onion and green peppers and arrange on top of loaf.
- Pour 1/4 of the remaining barbecue sauce on the top of the loaf. (I usually make a letter "M" with the sauce--it makes it look pretty).
- Place in oven.
- Take it out of oven in 1/2 hour and pour the remainder of the barbecue sauce on top.
- Let cook for another 1/2 hour.
- Check for doneness.
- I like mine well done.
- Adjust cooking time to your liking.
- Serve immediately.
- Great with mashed potatoes and green beans.
I should have paid closer attention to the other reviews and used much less BBQ sauce than the recipe suggested. I used an entire bottle for 2lbs of meat and the BBQ flavor was too overpowering for us. We liked the onions and peppers, that added a nice twist. I don't think that I would make this again, but if I did, I would use MUCH LESS BBQ sauce than suggested.
Yummmm! What a great way to make meatloaf. I doubled the recipe to make sure we would have leftovers and used a *lot* less BBQ sauce than called for. I probably used half a bottle for 2 lbs of meat and it was perfect. I used KC Masterpiece because it's my favorite and it's very strong so maybe that had something to do with it. I also used a red and a green bell pepper for coloring as suggested. My wife said this was the best meatloaf she had ever had. Definitely a keeper!
This is a very tasty meatloaf recipe! I also added the chopped onions into the mixture, vesus on top. I omitted the peppers b/c of personal preference and used Onion soup mix - didn't have French Onion on hand. I used "diana's own gourmet bbq sauce" and it was terrific!! I served this recipe with cheddar scallop potatoes and brussel sprouts - my hubby ate the leftovers the next day for lunch - the other "half" of the meatloaf! This is a keeper - I highly recommend this!!