Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
The fresh herbs really make this meatloaf stand out. So flavorful!! I find it worth the time it takes to prepare. Very comforting with garlic mashed potatoes and seasoned simmered green beans.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (can substitute green if prefer)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, plus
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1⁄3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup, seperated into two 1/4 cups
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (milk works fine)
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs (i use plain)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb sausage (spicy works well)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper, plus 1/4 tsp
- 4 slices of raw bacon, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- In large skillet heat butter over medium-high heat until melted.
- Add all but 1/4 cup of the onions, the celery and all BUT 2 tbsp of the bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until the veggies are softened and beginning to brown around the edges (about 6 0r 7 mins).
- Add 2 tsp of the garlic, the thyme, rosemary and parsley. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- When veggie mixture is cooled, transfer to mixing bowl and add the eggs, 1/4 cup of the ketchup, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce, and cream or milk then mix until thoroughly combined.
- Add the breadcrumbs, ground chuck, sausage, 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper and mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
- Transfer meat mixture to an ungreased pan and shape into your desired loaf.
- Arrange slices of bacon on the top and sides of the meatlof and set aside.
- In small saucepan combine the remaining 1/4 cup chopped onion, 2 tbsp of pepper, tsp of gaarlic, 1/4 c ketchup and bbq sauce, tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 tsp of salt, 2 tsp pepper and vinegar and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over loaf and bake 45 mins to an hour or until bacon and sauce are slightly caramalized on the top of meatloaf. Remove from over and loosely cover with foil for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!