Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
...or, er, well, my husband anyway.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, drained (I like Muir Glenn Organic)
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and juices reserved
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 eggs
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (approximately)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- I just throw this recipe together and have never had to write it down so, PLEASE, bear with me.
- Sautee onion and green pepper in a bit of oil until soft- set aside to cool.
- In large bowl mix beef, pork, eggs, onion, green pepper, salt and pepper and JUST ENOUGH bread crumbs that the whole thing sticks together but isn't gummy.
- Line jelly-roll pan first with foil then with plastic wrap.
- Press meat mixture into jelly roll pan (about 1 inch thickness)- this should fill 1/2- 3/4 of the pan.
- Evenly distribute tomatoes then saurkraut across the top of the meat mixture.
- Lifting plastic wrap at one end, roll meat as you would a jelly roll.
- If meat cracks, gently press together.
- Move to center of the pan, seal the ends, and discard plastic wrap.
- Pour 1/4 c.
- of reserved kraut juice over roll, then spread on ketchup.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over all.
- Bake at 350* for 1- 1 1/2 hours (time has varied in regards to the oven I use- to be sure meat is done cook till temperature reaches 160*F on a meat thermomater).
- It all sounds complicated now, but it's really quite easy- give it a try you won't be disappointed.
This had very good flavour, and texture and was VERY easy to make. My only slight complaint was the difficulty we had getting it off the foil. I will cook it directly on the greased tray next time I make it. I made it with all ground pork, and added caraway seeds as I thought they would be good with the sauerkraut.