1/1 Photo of Meatloaf (The Works)
birdie #3 (andrea)'s Note:
I love meatloaf! You really can't mess up making it. A good meal for the weekdays and makes even better leftovers that you can eat plain or put in sandwiches. I usually serve it with rice pilaf, asparagus or green beans. You can even cook potatoes and garlic in the oven with your meatloaf!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 177.44 ml dry breadcrumbs (Italian style or plain)
- 59.14 ml milk or 59.14 ml apple juice
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml garlic powder (I use Lawrey's)
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 236.59 ml red onion
- 118.29 ml carrot (chopped)
- 283.49 g sliced mushrooms (chopped)
- 59.14 ml red bell pepper (optional)
- ketchup or catsup, whatever you prefer
- 1Set oven to 350°F.
- 2in a large bowl mix the egg, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, breadcrumbs. then add the ground beef.
- 3in a fairly large pan add the olive oil and butter. sauté carrot, red onion, bell pepper, mushrooms.
- 4*Note* mushrooms will sauté faster than the other veggies, so you might want to wait a few minutes to add them. when they are tender enough drain all the sautéed vegetables.
- 5*NOTE* This will be hot.* you may wait a few minutes to let the vegetables cool.
- 6Then add the sautéed vegetables to the bowl of ground beef with the other ingredients. Mix in well. Also if you feel the mixture to be too sticky, you can add more bread crumbs. (If you have food grade plastic gloves, this might be the time to use them).
- 7Form either a loaf or ring (explained in baking options - below). Add ketchup on top to taste or till you think it's pretty enough and put it in the oven.
- 8*Don't forget to set your timer.
- 9-Baking options-.
- 10Can be formed into a 7x3x2-inch loaf in a shallow baking dish or stone cooked for 45 minutes or no pink.
- 11On a large stone or glass shallow baking sheet form a ring that is 6 inches in diameter with a 2 inches hole (like a really big doughnut!). Cook for 30 minutes or no pink.
- 12**EXTRA-also there are other variations I have tried with meatloaf. You can sauté more onions and top the meatloaf with it before the ketchup. It's pretty good. You can also put bacon on the top of the meatloaf.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatloaf (The Works)
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 324.6
- Calories from Fat 179
- Total Fat 19.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 101.8 mg
- Sodium 349.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 22.3 g