Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tomato based sauce topping for meatloaf. Quick, and easy to prepare. Add before baking, or as a dipping sauce after meat loaf has finished baking. Can easily be adapted for use perched atop a vegan lentil loaf.
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce or 2 teaspoons vegan worcestershire sauce or 2 teaspoons A.1. Original Sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced thinly (optional)
- Throughly mix together all ingredients.
- Spoon sauce over meatloaf.
- Bake for one hour at 350°F.
- •For vegan, omit the Worcestershire sauce and use vegan alternative.
I followed the recipe exactly. This is too vinegary and mustardy for our family. We are used to a more sweet sauce. The spices seemed to blend together well. Made for Market Game 07
I used this on Andi's No Rice Stuffed Peppers, #219277, and this sauce made the two a perfect combination. I'd use this sauce on other things besides stuffed peppers, perhaps over stuffed cabbage or even browned then slowly baked pork chops or, of course, drizzled on top of meatloaf.
This is wonderful! I made it to top Lentil Stuffed Peppers & will use the rest to put on meatloaf tomorrow. I would leave out the water next time, though. Otherwise, it's a great combination of seasonings! Made for Veggie Swap. Thank you!
edited to add this was fabulous over meatloaf, too!