Recipe by Maiden77
I used a whole grain sliced bread for our sandwiches but you can use any type of bread you prefer. The old man and the kids all use Miracle Whip on their bread but I used some Head Country Barbecue Sauce. Just play around with your favorite condiments and toppings
Top Review by Auntie Jan
I love meatloaf sandwiches and I like them hot-not cold so these worked great.I think the tip of making them the size of the bread is a good one. Good flavor and of course I had to have mine with horseradish and ketchup. This is a keeper. TY for a good meal!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced small
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups saltine crackers, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Toss in the onion and cook until softened. Add the tomato paste and cook 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg, Worcestershire, Dijon, and Tabasco.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the ground beef, crackers, parsley, oregano, salt, pepper, and egg mixture. Mix until combined. Add in the cooled onion mixture to the meat and continue to combine until mixed evenly.
- Form the mixture into 4 equal patties. I form the patties into the shape of the bread I intend to use. Place the patties onto a cookie sheet and place into the oven.
- Cook the patties for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cover with foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes before making into a sandwich.