Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best meat loaf I have ever had. The meat loaf is surrounded by potatoes, carrots and onions and baked together for a wonderful one dish comfort food meal. The meat loaf is very moist and tender and the veggies are soft and so tasty.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (beef, pork and veal mix)
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled and chunked 1 inch thick
- 3 carrots, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 small onion, sliced
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste for vegetables
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a food processor, place bread and process until fine crumbs form.
- Transfer crumbs to a large bowl.
- Add carrot, onion, garlic and parsley to the food processor and process until minced, about 30 seconds.
- Add vegetables to bread crumbs in bowl.
- Add meat, grated Parmesan, eggs and salt and pepper and mix well.
- If mixture seems too dry, I add a few splashes of water and remix.
- Shape into a loaf and place in a greased baking pan.
- Combine potatoes, carrots and onions in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper, then drizzle with olive oil and mix.
- Place around meat loaf in pan, sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, cover tightly with foil and bake at 375° for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes longer until vegetables are done.
Good meatloaf recipe. My only problem was that tje veggies hadn't cooked after nearly 1 1/2 hours in the oven. I had to add some liquid to the pan and leave it in a half hour extra. The meatloaf had a good flavour and was moist. The vegetable were very tasty.