Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Simple and tasty. Uses ingredients I always keep in the pantry. Perfect cold as finger food for a picnic lunch or hot with vegetable for dinner.
- 78.07 ml dry breadcrumbs
- 118.29 ml milk
- 40 g packet French onion soup mix
- 29.58 ml barbecue sauce (or 1 Tablespoon Tomato sauce & 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce)
- 14.79 ml dried parsley
- 0.59 ml dried thyme
- 0.59 ml ground nutmeg
- 800 g ground beef (lean)
- 2 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg (lightly beaten to glaze)
- In a bowl, place bread crumbs, milk, French onion soup mix, barbeque sauce, parsley, thyme and nutmeg. Mix well and leave for 5 minutes.
- Add lean ground beef to the mixture and mix lightly until well combined.
- Place 1 sheet of pastry on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Spread filling evenly on top leaving a 4cm ( 1-1/2 inch) border of pastry.
- Moisten pastry edges with water; place 2nd piece of pastry on top.
- Seal the edges with a fork.
- Brush top of pastry lightly with beaten egg.
- Bake at 200 Celcius (392 degrees Fahrenheit) for 40 minutes until golden.
- Serve hot or cold cut into squares.
We both loved this. lots of flavor here. I added salt, pepper and garlic to good effect. I found that I didn't have enough puff pastry to encase the meat as ask so I just used it for a top crust which actually worked out pretty well for us and I believe I would do it that way again.
Read this recipe and had to try it. I added some spices to my liking and followed it exactly. I invited a friend over and he raved about the smell first off. I brought the pie from the oven and it looked great. We let it stand as long as we could resist. Delicious. Can't say enough about it, three people including the town butcher want this recipe.I'll be making it again this Sunday, my butcher has requested a slice.
This one just really didn't work for us at all. The flavor was good, but I ended up having to cook it an extra 30 minutes just to get it completely done. On the advice of everyone to use lean meat, I chose ground turkey. The juice leaked out and stuck to the pan, even though I lined it with foil. Just not a good experience at all. We won't be trying it again.