Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious casserole that uses leftover meatloaf. One green bell pepper may be substituted for the cubanelles.
- 16 ounces tortellini pasta (use the unfilled type, or substitute another dry pasta)
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces shredded muenster cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cubanelle peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 (4 ounce) cans mushrooms (do not drain)
- 4 cups leftover meatloaf, cubed
- 1 (24 ounce) jar marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta cheese, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, and egg, and mix very well. Set aside.
- Combine mozzarella and muenster cheeses and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and peppers and cook, stirring, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, meatloaf, sauce, herbs, and wine.
- Stir and cook about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When pasta is cooked al dente, drain and return to pan.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup parmesan cheese to pasta.
- Add meatloaf mixture to pasta and mix well.
- Spoon 1/2 the pasta mixture into a lightly greased 9"x13" baking pan.
- Spoon all the ricotta mixture over the pasta layer and smooth with a spatula.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the mozzarella mixture over the ricotta layer.
- Spread remaining pasta mixture over cheese layer.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.