Recipe by Julesong
Meatloaves are one of the versatile mainstays in any homemaker's recipe file. They're easily turned into an extraordinary entree, and provide for flexibility in ingredients and preparation. This recipe is just one example: Manila style, a bit unusual, and combined with the creamy goodness of shredded cheese, it's just as appetizing and juicy as any meatloaf can be. An adopted recipe.
Top Review by tara portee
I enjoyed this, especially the sauce. I preferred it to the overly tomato taste of ketchup toppings. The boiled egg in the middle was a different twist. It made for attractive slices.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 cup fresh soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lb ham, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, shelled
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together beef, beef bouillon, and bread crumbs.
- For the filling: combine the ham, pork, cheese, pickle, raw egg, salt, dash of pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Grease a loaf pan well.
- Make a layer of half of the beef mixture and cover with half of the filling.
- Press hard boiled eggs half-way into meat.
- Cover with remaining filling and the rest of the beef mixture.
- Tap pan lightly to loosen meatloaf and invert over greased shallow baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the tomato sauce with soy sauce and lime juice, add onions, and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into the baking dish with the meatloaf.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees F, basting occasionally and adding a bit of water to the sauce, if necessary, to avoid drying up.