Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Adapted from Best of the Best of Georgia. This meatloaf contains a little evaporated milk(it can be skim) to give it tenderness and moisture. You may want to let it sit after baking for about 10 minutes to not only cool, but also to firm up as this is so tender, it sometimes has a tendency to fall apart a bit. If you like yours firmer, you can add a bit more breadcrumbs, but I prefer it moist. I have also tried using roasted red peppers in this with great success. Or, chill it first after baking, then slice for great sandwiches.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄3 cup celery, very finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, very finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup bell pepper, very finely chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 3 -4 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray a 9x5" meatloaf pan with nonstick spray or (prepare a roasting pan set over a drip pan).
- Gently mix together all ingredients (except sauce ingredients) with your hands and form into a loaf- place in pan.
- Mix together sauce ingredients and pour over loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked through; let rest 10 minutes before attempting to slice.