Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Adapted from your gold ol' basic meatloaf into a genuinely delicious, moist, and flavorful delight. This recipe is a great way to sneak in vegetables for the picky eaters out there in the world. *I recommend preparing the meatloaf the night before you plan to cook it. Stick it in the fridge and remove it about an hour before cooking. This allows for all of the ingredients to incorporate nicely throughout the dish.*I cook my meatloaf in an 8-9 inch pie pan to ensure that it is evenly cooked and easy to slice. Enjoy!!
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey breast
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 medium white onion, diced
- 1⁄2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- Heat olive oil in small skillet. Once hot sautee onion, bell pepper, and garlic over medium heat until soft and slightly brown. Remove from heat.
- In medium sized bowl combine meats, egg, ketchup, bbq sauce, Liquid Smoke, parsley, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oatmeal, and tomatoes. Mix well with hands.
- Once well mixed, add cooled sauteed vegetables. Mix well with hands.
- Cover and refrigerate over night. Remove from refridgerator about an hour before cooking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small pot combine apple cider vinegar, Liquid Smoke, yellow mustard, brown sugar, worstechire sauce, ketchup, and barbeque sauce. Whisk together.
- Warm sauce over medium heat.
- Place meatloaf in an 8 or 9 inch pie pan (or loaf pan). Press down on mixture until even in pan, leaving a half inch space along sides for sauce.
- Spoon half of sauce on top and sides of meatloaf.
- Cook meatloaf for about 45 minutes, remove from oven and drain grease. Add 2-3 tbsp sauce to top of meatloaf. Place back in oven for remaining 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 or 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with extra sauce spooned over slices of meatloaf.
Really enjoyed the combo of ground beef & turkey breast in this meatloaf, & although I don't usually include any kind of topping on my loafs, I did make the sauce you included & we both found it a wonderful change from our usual! Definietly worth making this one again! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup tag]