Recipe by kymgerberich
A Finnish delight.
Top Review by Nana Lee
I used half a recipe b/c there is just me to eat it. Even then I had some left over to freeze. I found the directions for putting the meatloaf into the dough a bit ambiguous, but I think I got it right. The taste of the meatloaf and the crust was very good together. Iwasn't too sure it would tourn out so good b/c the meat was cooked before forming into a loaf, but it work very well. Lee
For Sour Cream Pastry Dough
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, chopped
- 3 lbs ground beef or 3 lbs ground veal or 3 lbs ground pork
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl. With 2 knives cut in the butter until the mixture is like coarse meal.
- In a separate bowl mix the egg and sour cream. Add this to the flour mixture until the dough forms a soft, pliable ball. Wrap the dough in wax paper and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- After chilling, divide the dough in half and roll out each half to a rectangle 6"x14". Save any scraps of dough. Butter the bottom of a flat cookie sheet or jelly-roll pan. Put one sheet of the pastry onto the pan.
- Melt butter in a 12" skillet. Add the mushrooms and cook them for 6 - 8 minutes, until lightly colored. Add the meat and continue to cook until the meat loses all trace of pink color. Combine the mushrooms, cooked meat, onion, parsley, cheese, and milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Form the meat mixture into a ball and put it in the center of the dough. With your hands, very gently pat the meat into a loaf shape. Cover this with the second piece of pastry dough and seal the edges with a fork.
- Moisten the dough with a pastry brush dipped in the egg and 2 Tbl milk which has been beaten together. Prick holes in the top of the loaf to allow steam to escape.
- Roll out the scraps of dough and cut them into strips. Crisscross these over the top of the loaf to form a design. Again brush it with the egg/milk mixture.
- Bake the loaf at 375°F for 45 minutes, when the pastry will be golden brown.