For the devoted campers...you can also do this on the grill, in your fireplace or in the oven.
Make and share this Meatloaf in an Onion recipe from Food.com.
- Cut 6 12X14 inch rectangles of heavy aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the ground beef, egg whites, tomato sauce, pepper, salt and dry mustard.
- Mix well and set aside Peel the onions and cut them in half horizontally.
- Remove the centers, leaving a 1/4 in shell.
- Finely chop the center from one of the onions and mix it into the meat mixture.
- Tightly wrap the 5 remaining onion centers and refrigerate for future use.
- Spoon the meat mixture into 6 of the onion halves, mounding it on top.
- Place the remaining onion halves on top of the filled halves and press together.
- Place one filled onion on top of each piece of foil.
- Bring the ends of the foil up over the onion and flold down tightly in small folds.
- Flatten the ends and roll them tightly around the onion.
- Cook the stuffed onions on coals, turning once, until they are soft to the touch, 14-20 minutes on each side.
- You can also bake them in a preheated 350F oven for 45 minutes.