Recipe by CatlingMex
I tried this a few years ago just for fun, but what I discovered was that this recipe is very much worth it, and not just for the novelty aspect. It tastes great, and leftovers are delicious, too.
- 1 (6 inch) pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup prepared mustard
- 4 cups ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup minced green pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a "lid" out of the top of the pumpkin. Remove gunk and seeds inside. (Roast seed for snacking.
- Place pumpkin in an oven-proof dish with about an inch of water around it and bake for about an hour.
- In the meantime, combine the ground beef, onion, green pepper, egg, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly with your hands. (OR better yet, use your own basic meatloaf recipe.).
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and prepared mustard. Add a small amount of water, if necessary, but keep it of paste consistency.
- Once the pumpkin has baked for about an hour, remove it from the oven. Let it cool somewhat, then spread the brown sugar and mustard mixture over all the inside surface of the pumpkin.
- Fill the pumpkin with the meatloaf mixture. Bake for another hour or until the meatloaf is done. Remove from oven, let set about 20 minutes, then slice into wedges and serve.