Cook1 hr 15 mins
Ha-ha, I do love the "Meatloaf: yes Virginia, there IS a great meatloaf" recipe, however I believe mine is just a hint better. You be the judge. I made this for my husband’s birthday- party of 15, and everyone raved over it- so, hey everyone- give it a shot, I would love some feedback. I use dried onion as opposed to fresh because I didn't like the BITE of fresh onion, it's much more subtle yet still flavorful to use dried... you be the judge though- use 1 small fresh yellow onion chopped if you like. By the way- some of you may be wondering- this is NOT a 'sweet meat'... it may be confusing with all the brown sugar and sweetened condensed milk- but I assure you- this is not sweet- if you want to- just omit the savory sauce and make it on the side to use as a dipping sauce the first time around... I'm highly confident in this recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in mixing bowl and pat into a 9" round pie plate and pat flat.
- Mix the "savory sauce" in a separate bowl and spoon over the meatloaf.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes (sauce should be bubbling).