Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This home made New Zealand meat loaf is perfect at dinner, lunch or anytime you wish
Make and share this Meatloaf from Home recipe from Food.com.
- 3 egg yolks
- 25 g porridge oats
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 kg lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons whole grain french mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons herbs (e.g sage, thyme, rosemary, chives)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
Tomato Topping (227 g chili sauce or homemade topping)
- 227 g tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- stir egg yolks with water and oats.
- leave to stand 10 minutes.
- mix mince with carrots, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, mustard, parsley, herbs, lemon juice and oat mixture, chilli powder, salt and pepper.
- mix well.
- shape into a loaf - place on tray.
- bake 1 1/4 hours at 180 degrees.
- mix all tomato topping ingredients together.
- bring to boil then simmer until thick and pulpy about 15-20 minutes.
- place over meat loaf before putting in oven.