Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
My family has recently been trying to incorporate a lot more vegetables into our meals, so I came up with this. I did not include the time for soaking the lentils. The veggies are all what I happened to have on hand.
- 1 medium carrot
- 2 small celery ribs
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- Soak lentils 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Simmer lentils 10 mins or until very tender.
- Finely dice all veggies, then saute until tender.
- Let lentils and veggies cool.
- Mix all ingredients except ketchup.
- Place onto baking sheet and shape into loaf.
- Spread ketchup on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for an hour and 20 mins or until done.
This was so delicious. Well, the idea was delicious. I omited the pepper because I didn't have one and the lentils because I didn't have 5 hours. I also used 1.75 pounds of beef and only 2 eggs. But I loved the veggie idea and it made the meatloaf very flavorful.