Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great dish to take for a huge gathering. keeps well.
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups fine dry breadcrumbs
- 9 lbs ground beef
- 3 lbs ground pork
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons onion juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- tomato sauce
- 1 small piece bay leaf
- 2⁄3 cup butter or 2⁄3 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup minced celery leaves
- 1 onion
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 7 cups of canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Scald milk; add to breadcrumbs.
- Combine with meat and seasonings; mix thoroughly.
- Pat into 6 loaf pans, 9 -1/2 x 4 -1/2 inches.
- Bake in a moderate oven, 350F one hour.
- Serve with Tomato Sauce.
- Tomato sauce: Add bay leaf, celery leaves and minced onion to tomatoes; simmer 10 minutes; strain.
- Melt butter or margarine in saucepan; stir in flour and seasonings.
- Add tomatoes gradually.
- Cook stirring constantly until mixture thickens, reduce heat and cook 10 minutes, allow about 2 tablespoon sauce per serving.