Recipe by LonghornMama
From Lean and Luscious by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder. I started making this recipe years ago in college and it's still one of my favorites. Baking the meatloaf on a rack lets the fat drain away, so this is a bit drier than traditional spongy meatloaf.
Top Review by Skooch
Made this tonight for dinner and it was absolutely great! The only change I made was add onions instead of the garlic powder (personal preference). It was truly the best meatloaf I've ever had. Will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing!
- 3⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs, plus
- 2 tablespoons seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce and spices.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, crumbs and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce mixture. Mix well. Spread meat on a piece of wax paper, forming a rectangle about 8 x 10 inches.
- Spread spinach over half the meat. Top with Mozzarella cheese, still only covering half the meat.
- Fold meat over so that spinach and cheese are inside. Seal edges.
- Transfer meat to a rack in a shallow baking pan. Top with remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 1 hour.