Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love meatloaf, and tend to make large ones to ensure that there will be leftovers (nothing is better the next day than a cold meatloaf sandwich!). But sometimes I end up with half of a 3-pound meatloaf and nobody wants sandwiches, so here's what I make to use it in a tasty, fast, and easy way... Note: there is no salt added to the recipe because the salt that's contained in the tortilla chips and meatloaf, but you'll need to judge that for yourself; this one can easily get too salty if you're not careful. :)
- 1⁄2 large cooked meatloaf
- 3 cups roughly crushed tortilla chips (don't make them too fine)
- 1 can of your favorite chili with beans (or 1.5 cups homemade)
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes (or 4 Tbsp freshly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) can enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Break the cooked meatloaf into bite-size pieces.
- Crush the tortilla chips into approximately 1/2-inch pieces and line the bottom of a lightly-greased high-sided casserole dish with half of the chips.
- Place the meatloaf on top of the chips, sprinkle with onion, cumin, and cayenne, half of the cheddar and pepper jack cheeses (mixing them together works well), then spread the chili over.
- Top with remaining chips, then evenly pour over the enchilada sauce and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes covered (or longer, depending on your oven), then 5-10 minutes uncovered until cheese is browned to preference, or microwave for 7 minutes covered and bake for 10 minutes uncovered.
- Serve with sour cream and guacamole.
- Makes 4 servings.
Not bad! My brother loved it, my husband and I liked it pretty well. I did make a few changes though. I didn't have chili or enchilada sauce so i substituted a can of Rotel, a can of light red kidney beans and a combination of chili sauce and chicken wing sauce that I just had sitting in the fridge. I used 1 lb of turkey meatloaf and that worked well. I didn't have enough corn chips so I'll have to use more next time and I'm thinking of using black beans next time. Thanks so much!
Great way to use leftover meatlof
Wonderful - The meatloaf is always too big and I always have leftovers. I tried this with chicken and it's just as good. Used some taco flavored chips instead of adding the cayenne, gave it plenty of flavor. Thanks for posting.