Recipe by chefdoogabayne
From the July 2006 Food and Wine issue, this is an excellent sandwich that will have you make it your favorite.
Top Review by Hazel's Momma
This is the meatloaf sandwich of my dreams! It takes a little work, but it is so worth it. I made it exactly as written and it was excellent. I love chipotle mayo, so I just added half the can to jar of mayo. Now I have it on hand for the next time I make this sandwich.
- 10 slices bacon, 2 slices coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground sirloin
- 12 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, stemmed and chopped
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, Line a baking sheet with a wire rack, In a food processor, pulse the chopped bacon with the garlic cloves until minced, Add the bread crumbs, Parmesan, milk, egg, thyme, rosemary and hot sauce, season generously with salt and pepper and process to a paste, Transfer the paste to a medium bowl and knead in the ground sirloin,.
- 2. Preheat a griddle or grill pan, Spread the meat mixture evenly on 4 slices of the white bread, Top with another 4 slices of bread and brush both sides of the sandwiches with olive oil, Brush the remaining 4 slices of white bread lightly with olive oil and set aside, Place the sandwiches on the griddle and top with a heavy skillet. Cook over moderate heat, turning the sandwiches once, until they are golden, about 6 minutes total. Transfer the sand-.
- wiches to the rack and bake until the meat is cooked through, about 8 minutes longer.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook the remaining 8 slices of bacon until crisp, about 6 minutes, Drain on paper towels, Toast the remaining 4 slices of white bread on the griddle until golden, about 2 minutes per side,.
- 4. In a small bowl, blend the mayonnaise with the chopped chipolte chile, Spread the mayonnaise on the meatloaf sandwiches and top with the bacon, tomatoes, lettuce and toasted bread,.
- Cut each sandwich in half. Secure each half with a toothpick and serve with cornichons and mustard.