Prep 30 mins
Cook 16 mins
From The Great Big Burger Book
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb ground pork
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
Tangy Tomato Sauce
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- In a large bowl, mix all the meatloaf ingredients together.
- Form mixture into 6 patties, each 1 inch thick.
- Lightly oil the grill or a skillet over med-high heat; cook the burgers 6-8 minutes per side for medium or to desired degree of doneness.
- While the burgers are cooking, make the tomato sauce; mix together all the tomato sauce ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Serve up burgers: sandwich the patties between toasted white bread or thick-slice country bread after you have spread a little Tangy Tomato Sauce on the patties.
This was a terrific idea, but the recipe didn't work out in practice. The burgers fell apart on the grill. They seemed to have too much tomato paste in them. The flavor was overwhelming, and might have been what made them too wet, also. In addition, the sauce really needed to be cooked down in order to be the correct thickness. I did that, but the recipe didn't mention it. I did get some inspiration from this in order to proceed with my own experiments.
Wow ~ meatloaf on the grill! These were enjoyed by all. We cooked three and placed the other three in the freezer for a meal on another day. The sauce was a little bit too thin so I thickened it up with some mayo. Will be making these again. Made for Bargain Basement Tag.