Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
These hearty sandwiches are great for potluck dinners, served on hamburger buns, these burgers get extra flavour when topped with the seasoned tomato sauce. Most people love them since they are a fun change from plain burgers and regular meatloaf.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Place onion and celery in a slow cooker.
- Combine beef, and 1 tsp salt and pepper.
- Shape into six patties.
- Place over onion mixture in slow cooker.
- Combine tomato juice, garlic, ketchup, bay leaf, Italian seasoning and remaining salt.
- Pour over the patties.
- Cook in slow cooker 7-9 hours until meat is tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Separate patties with spatula if necessary and serve on buns.
I make these burgers often. My family and I omit the buns (to cut back on carbs) and eat them as is topped with the sauce. I add more salt to both the beef and the sauce, as I find 1&1/2 teaspoons of salt a bit bland for my taste.