Whenever I cook meatloaf Millennium Meatloaf (Using Vegemite) I always have leftovers. Even though I love meatloaf sandwiches I thought this was a great idea for something different. I saw Rachael Ray cook it and just had to write down the recipe. It's extremely economical & goes a loooong way, tasty too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup beef stock (eyeball it)
- 1 (14 ounce) can chunky-style crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 inches thick slices of leftover meatloaf (or equivalent)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball, cut into small cubes, divided
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- 2Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once the water comes to a boil, add a generous handful of salt. Cook the pasta just short of al dente. Drain and return to the pot.
- 3Preheat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add oil, onions, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the beef stock and both cans of crushed tomatoes, and bring to a bubble. Chop or crumble up leftover meatloaf and add to the sauce.
- 5Simmer for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Add half of the tomato meatloaf sauce to the cooked pasta. Add the ricotta and half of the Parmigiano, and toss to coat. Add half of the cubed mozzarella cheese, give everything a stir and then transfer it to an oven-safe baking dish.
- 7Top with the remaining tomato meatloaf sauce, cubed mozzarella and the Parmigiano. Transfer to the oven and bake until the top is nice and brown, about 10-15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatloaf Baked Ziti (Spaghetti))- Rachael Ray
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 765.3
- Calories from Fat 203
- Total Fat 22.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 1231.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 32.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh mozzarella balls