Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my favorite recipe for meat loaf. My husband actually ASKS to have meat loaf with this recipe. I don't use the ketchup or the topping sauce.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 (1 3/8 ounce) package Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 2 cups breadcrumbs or 2 cups cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup Karo syrup
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine loaf ingredients and mix well.
- In separate bowl mix topping ingredients.
- Shape loaf ingredients into loaf inside 9x9 glass pan.
- Spread topping over loaf.
- Cover pan with foil in a tent-style covering.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Check loaf.
- Uncover and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes.
I didn't notice until after I had put in the ketchup that 'BlueRose683' said that she doesn't use it. So even though I'm not wild about ketchup in meatloaf I made it the way she posted it. I liked the instructions for putting a foil tent over it. The tent seemed to keep it from drying out, since it was nice and moist. My DH loved it, I thought it would have been better without the ketchup in it. Since DH liked it so much I think next time I will not put the ketchup inside but leave the topping on for him. Because I wouldn't want to lose the moistness I think I will substitute some other liquid for the ketchup, perhaps some evaporated milk. Also I think a little black pepper would give it a little zing.