Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This was my father's meat loaf recipe, which he adapted from an old community cookbook.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb sausage (I prefer mild)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cracker crumbs
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- Combine ground beef, sausage, cracker crumbs, onions, garlic and celery, then add egg, milk, catsup, salt and pepper.
- Mix together well and press into 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Bake 1 hour in a preheated 350 degree oven, then pour tomato sauce over top and bake 15 minutes longer.
This is a really good recipe, but to make it a 5 star for my family, next time I will just use all ground beef, instead of the sausage. We liked it just fine as it is written, and it made wonderful sandwiches the next day. Just a personal preference on the sausage thing. Thanks for the great recipe.