Recipe by ellie_
Fail-proof meat loaf is great for fall/winter meals with baked or mashed potatoes and brocolli. Leftovers are great in sandwiches. Original recipe printed in Bon Appetit (July, 1991).
Top Review by Derf
a very nice different meatloaf, thanks ! like the idea of the rye bread, it gave quite a different taste; the parmesan a nice little sharpness to it. The loaf stayed together well and was nicely finished with the tomato sauce. It made great lunch sandwiches the next day, will be making this one again.
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Grase 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F.
- Place bread in large bowl.
- Add water and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Drain off extra water.
- Mash bread with fork.
- Add next 7 ingredients (ground beef- pepper) to bread, mixing well.
- Transfer meat mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour tomato sauce over meat loaf and sprinkle with oregano.
- Return to oven and bake 20- 30 minutes longer.
- Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.