Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
What can I say? It's a Meat Loaf! :) But it's one that my husband fiddled with for awhile and we've been enjoying it for years ever since.
- 1 1⁄4 cups fine breadcrumbs (I use gluten-free homemade or Ener-G brand)
- 1 small yellow onions or 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves (or more)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup milk (I use nonfat)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard (Coleman's is not gluten-free)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and eggs.
- Add the milk/egg mixture to the dry mixture, mixing with a fork.
- Let mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef; mix well with hands.
- Pack lightly into a nonstick 9" x 5" loaf pan, then press firmly.
- Bake meat loaf in a preheated oven for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, heat tomato sauce, brown sugar, and mustard to boiling, then reduce heat to low to keep mixture warm.
- Remove meat loaf from oven; brush lightly with some tomato sauce mixture.
- Bake loaf 15 minutes longer until glazed.
- Serve with remaining tomato sauce mixture.
Sorry but I had a little trouble with this meatloaf, it came out of the pan in pieces, I did use a non stick pan, anyway stuck it back together and glazed it , we did like the flavour, very nice and it did make great sandwiches for lunch the day after.
I just loved this recipe !! The topping was a real hit in my family!! Thanks for sharing. Sabrina Barr
This was good, nice and firm yet moist meat loaf. Next time I might add some chopped up peppers to spice it up a bit. The glaze was a hit. Thanks!