Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this on the internet but unfortunately, I did not record the website name. It is the meatloaf taste I have been looking a long time for. I use plain Panko breadcrumbs and beef that is 80-85% lean. I have successfully cut the recipe in half to make a 1 lb. loaf for my family of 3.
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 lbs ground beef, 80-85
- 1 1⁄4 cups plain breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly cracked
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Combine all glaze ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- Adjust oven rack to lower middle position. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a saute pan, on medium heat, heart the oil. Brown the onion and celery, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Watch that the garlic does not burn. Onion, celery and garlic should be soft. Turn off heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients to make the meatloaf, including the browned onion-garlic-celery mix. Add 1/4°C of the pre-mixed glaze. Mix quickly just to combine. don't overwork the mixture or you'll get a compacted loaf.
- Loosely form the mixture into a loaf-like shape and lightly press into a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Spread the remaining glaze evenly on top of the meatloaf. Spread as much as you'd like. You don't have to use it all.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Make thick slices of meatloaf. Serve meatloaf hot, drizzling pan juices over each slice. goes great with mashed potatoes and peas and carrots.