Recipe by StacyMD187373
Absolutely yummy moist meatloaf that is our go-to meatloaf. Takes a little while to make, but is really worth it! We made a few changes from the original recipe to make it a little easier to make with what's on hand. We use all ground beef. The original uses fresh chives and also adds red bell pepper (1/4 cup) and 3 Tbsp scallions as well as 6-8 bacon slices. We leave these ingredients out and doesn't affect the flavor for us!
Top Review by daisy01213
This is quite a variation on Alton Brown's recipe. This one has way too many ingredients. Why is it necessary to have three different kinds of onions? Why toast the breadcrumbs? Red pepper flakes, cumin, oregano, nutmeg, mustard, complexity on complexity seemed overwhelming to me and really didn't make a better one than the original recipe, to say nothing of taking forever, which I wouldn't have minded if it had made a superior loaf. The sauteed minced onions, peppers and celery were wonderful. I will do that again, but I'll cut back on spices, and forget the toasted crumbs.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 lbs ground beef (or 1 pound ground beef, 1/2 pound ground veal, 1/2 pound ground pork)
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spicy red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (I just add what looks right.)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- While above is cooking, make glaze. Mix all ingredient in small bowl and set aside.
- Combine eggs with chives, mustard, salt and pepper, nutmeg, red pepper flakes, cumin, basil, oregano and milk.
- Add egg mixture to meat in a large bowl along with sauteed vegetables and breadcrumbs. (I usually just add in breadcrumbs until it looks right.).
- Mix with fingers until evenly blended and not sticking to bowl.
- Place meat mix in a baking pan and form a loaf. Brush half of glaze over the top and reserve rest for dipping or additional glazing during last 15 minutes.
- Bake meatloaf about 45-60 minutes until fully cooked. Drain fat and allow loaf to cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting.