1/3 Photos of Meatloaf
1 hr 30 mins
This is how my Granny taught me to make meatloaf. She was an awesome southern cook! Note the method for adding bread - this is part of what keeps the meatloaf from being dry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground meat
- 2 eggs
- 2 -3 slices bread (I use wheat, but any type is probably fine)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 -4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (divided use)
- 1 -4 dash Tabasco sauce (divided use)
- salt (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (divided use)
- 1 -4 tablespoon catsup (divided use)
- 2 slices bacon (optional, but really adds a lot of flavor) (optional)
- water (to moisten bread)
- 1Put meat in a large bowl and add eggs, chopped onion and bell pepper.
- 2Then add half the tomato sauce, catsup, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Add the spices.
- 3While holding the slices of bread, run cold water over them until wet - then squeeze them in your hand to get rid of excess water - add to meat.
- 4Now the fun part, use your hands to mix it all up - make sure it's really well mixed and that everything is evenly distributed.
- 5I don't use a loaf pan for this - I use a sheet cake or other large baking pan, and shape the mixture into a loaf that's about 2 inches thick - and probably 4 inches wide.
- 6Lay the bacon strips side by side down the length of the loaf.
- 7Bake at 350°F for about 1 and half hours.
- 8Sauce: While meat is baking, mix the remaining tomato sauce, Worcestershire, Tabasco and catsup (I just leave half the tomato sauce in the can, then add the other ingredients to "refill" the can. (hope that makes sense).
- 9During last 20 minutes or so of baking - pour sauce over meat, continue baking until done.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Meatloaf
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 73.1
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 314.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lean ground meat