Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The best meatloaf in Kansas
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs or 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 chopped green pepper (optional you can add more or less depending on how much you like green pepper)
- 1 teaspoon marjoram or 1 teaspoon basil or 1 teaspoon rosemary or 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pieces bread (optional)
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- Mix meatloaf ingredients and shape into a loaf.
- (Put the 2 pieces of bread at the bottom of the pan to ketch any left over grease).
- Mix ingredients for sauce together(I recommend putting the sauce on the meatloaf half way through baking process).
- Place in a loaf pan or on a 13x9 (or whatever size you have) casserole pan.
- Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
The meatloaf itself is moist and good. The sauce is way too sweet. At first I thought that I read the recipe wrong but no it's 1 1/2 cup of brown sugar. We just eat the meatloaf and discard the sauce.
My daughter prepared this meatloaf for supper this evening. We were hesitant about the milk as we've never seen that used in a meatloaf recipe before. But, it worked! The resulting dish was very moist and flavorful. Both kids thought it was the best meatloaf they had ever had. The only change she made was to use only ketchup on top. We didn't have liquid smoke and she wasn't sure if the sauce would work without it. She didn't use the bread in the pan since we had very lean ground sirloin. There was some juice in the pan at the end, but it wasn't overly greasy.
This is an awesome recipe. I did add a few other ingredients that I had on hand. Diced celery, some poultry seasonings, and 1/2 cup catsup. I put four slices of bacon on it while it baked. For the sauce I added a dash of mustard and used dried onion flakes. I 1/2 the recipe since I thought there would be too much of it. YUMMY!