Recipe by dojemi
Courtesy of Martha Kostyra (Martha Stewart's Mom). This is one of her most popular recipes.
Top Review by mums the word
I had some trouble with the meatloaf falling apart when it was sliced, but think that was because of all the finely chopped vegetables. There seemed to be too much of the vegetables in my opinion so I would reduce that next time. Thanks for the recipe.
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces
- 2 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place bread in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine crumbs form.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, and add ground beef.
- Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots, and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade; pulse until fine.
- Add to meat mixture, using hands to mix well.
- Add egg, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 teaspoons dry mustard, salt, and pepper; use hands to combine thoroughly.
- Place in an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Combine remaining 1/2 cup ketchup, remaining teaspoon dry mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl; stir until smooth.
- Brush mixture over meatloaf; place in the oven with a baking pan set on the rack below to catch drippings.
- Cook until a meat thermometer inserted in the center reads 160 degrees, about 90 minutes.
- If top gets too dark, cover with foil, and continue baking.