Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a Low-Carb dish from "The Low-Carb Cookbook" by Fran McCullough. I'm posting this in responce to a request.
- 2 Wasa sesame rye crackers, finely crushed
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 3 lbs ground beef, at room temp (veal, pork, beef)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large green bell pepper, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup or 2 tablespoons strained salsa
- 4 slices bacon
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- Put the Wasa crumbs into a small bowl and pour the milk over them, set aside.
- Put the meat in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter in skillet and add the green pepper and onions.
- Cook gently for about 3 minutes or until soft, stirring often.
- Add the sauted pepper, onions and everything else but the ketchup and bacon to the meat mixture.
- Mix lightly with your hands.
- Put the meatloaf into a glass loaf pan and spread the ketchup over the top.
- Lay the bacon slices over the ketchup.
- Bake the loaf for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Made this meatloaf for supper tonight. It was good, the seseme rye cracker made for a different taste. Only used 1/4 lb pork and the rest all beef, i spread hot salsa, unstrained over the top and left off the bacon. turned out very nice and we will have lots for lunches tomorrow. Thanks for something different Erin!
We really liked this meatloaf. It absolutely tasted great!