Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
I love this recipe! One of my friends made this for dinner when I was over. You wouldn't even guess that it contained no meat at all. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 1 vidalia onion (chopped)
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 -3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup diced or sliced zucchini
- 1 (750 ml) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 -2 cup tomato sauce with basil and mushroom
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons yellow sugar
- 1 tablespoon soya sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili pepper (crushed) (optional)
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese or 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles (the whole wheat ones I like)
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup kraft parmesan cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed)
- 2 cups colby cheese (grated in separate bowl)
- Combine in a large sauce pan the onions, mushrooms, garlic, zucchini.
- Cook on medium heat until softened stirring frequently.
- Add tomato sauce, paste, tomatoes, spices, soya sauce, sugar and chili peppers (if required) to the vegetable mixture.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for approximately 15 minutes.
- While the mixture is simmering, begin preparing noodles according to package instructions.
- Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Separately, combine cottage cheese or ricotta, parmesan, spinach and egg white.
- In lasagna pan, start by spreading tomato sauce in bottom.
- Start layering noodles in sets of three, followed by vegetable sauce mixture, 1/2 spinach mixture, 1/3 marble cheese.
- Continue this process until you end up with 1/3 of the marble cheese remaining.
- Cover lasagna with aluminum foil and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
- At 30 minute mark, remove lasagna from oven and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered for another 5-10 minutes.
- Let lasagna cool for 10 minutes and serve with garlic toast.