Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can turn this side dish into an easy one-pot dish by simply adding a can of pinto beans along with the rice. This is a meatless recipe.
- 2 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except rice.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat. Stir in rice. When mixture boils again, stir, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer, until most of the liquid has cooked out, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and set aside covered, for 5 minutes.
- Mix well before serving.
Made this as a side dish to grilled cheeseburgers. I made this exactly as written and we all enjoyed it. Made for AUS/NZ swap.
A nice side dish that we enjoyed for supper. I used an orange bell pepper (all I had left on hand) and was a bit worried there would be to much liquid but it worked out great. I think I would prefer white rice for this recipe next time as the nutty flavor of the brown rice seemed to be out of place a bit. Thank you morgainegeiser for posting this recipe. Made and reviewed for ZWT5 - Bodacious Brickhouse Babe team.
I LOVED this! I ued white rice, but I ran out of corn kernals so I had to be creative and used creamed corn instead. It was delicious and the kids enjoyed it, we have a Vegetarian homestay girl living with us and she loved it too. Thanks for a dish that the whole family enjoyed. Made for ZWT8, The Fearless Red Dragons.