Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got the idea for this from a recipe in a recent issue of Parents. I changed the ingredients and preparation to suit my family's taste. Both kids and my husband loved it.
- 4 cups pinto beans, cooked
- 2 cups mild salsa
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Corn Bread Topping
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees farenheit. Add the pintos, salsa, tomato sauce, garlic powder, and taco seasoning to food processor and process until mixture is creamy.
- Pour into a 2qt casserole and bake 30 minutes or until heated through.
- Meanwhile mix cornbread ingredients in a medium bowl, remove casserole and spoon cornbread mixture over top of bean mixture and return to oven to bake an additional 15 minutes or until top starts to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and serve with shredded cheese.
- The rest of my family does not like chunky food, thats why I did this in a food processor. If you like a chunky mixture (as I do), feel free to simply mix all ingredients and bake as is, without processing.
Good and pretty easy meatless meal for us. I made the mistake of not using the specified size casserole (mine was a little smaller) so I was not able to use all of the corn bread topping, but it still was very good. Leftovers even better later in the week. Thanks for posting.
This was a hit at my house! I added 1/2 cup yellow squash puree and 1/2 zucchini puree instead of the tomato sauce. I think next time I'll throw some fake meat into it to replace some of the beans.