Recipe by ClareVH
This does not make a huge amount. The sauce is simple, quick and flavorful. The feta cheese gives some zest to the filling.
- 12 jumbo pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced basil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 teaspoon mixed Italian herbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (optional) or 2 tablespoons basil (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray a 9 x 7 inch glass dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cook the pasta shells according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce: saute the garlic in olive oil in a medium saucepan; add all additional sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer; cook on low heat, stirring occasionally, until ready to assemble the shells.
- Stir together all filling ingredients until well combined.
- Drain the cooked pasta shells. Pour about 1/4 of the sauce in the bottom of the glass baking dish; fill each pasta shell with cheese filling, dividing evenly among the 12 shells.
- Arrange shells in the baking dish and pour the remaining sauce over the top; sprinkle with parmesan cheese and oregano.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 50 minutes; uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until parmesan cheese is lightly browned.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.