Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
1001 Low Fat Vegetarian
Make and share this Meatless Sloppy Joes recipe from Food.com.
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2⁄3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein
- salt and pepper
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 8 pickle spears
- Spray medium saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium until hot.
- Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic until tender, 5-8 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, catsup, water, brown sugar, mustard, celery seeds and chili powder; heat to boiling.
- Stir in vegetable protein; reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sandwich mixture into buns; serve with pickles.