Recipe by PBShakes
I love shepherd's pie, but I no longer eat red meat. I came up with this to fulfill my comfort food craving. It is vegetarian and vegan. Fiance and male guest both loved it.
Top Review by Shelley G.
I made this last night and it was I must say the best cottage pie I have had, I used the ketchup as suggested and frozen veggies, the gravy was just the right consistancy, I am keeping this one for sure!!
For the topping
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup plain soymilk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 medium carrot, chopped fine
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup canned peas
- 9 ounces soy crumbles or 9 ounces quorn pieces
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried ground sage
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil potatoes and parsnips until tender. Drain. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes and parsnips. Add soymilk, garlic, butter and mash until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Set topping aside.
- Heat oil in a medium-large pan. Add onion and carrot to pan and cook on medium heat until onions are soft. Add mushrooms and meat substitute and sauté for 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl slowly mix the flour into the vegetable stock. Add vegetable stock mixture and peas to pan.
- Mix in Worcestershire, sage, red pepper. Cook down to a gravy like consistency. Pepper to taste.
- Transfer filling to a oven proof dish, spread the potato parsnip mash over it.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes.