Recipe by shell42970
A vegetarian take on an old classic, this isn't a "quick" dinner, but is worth the extra time needed in preparing it. You will need a food processor.
- 6 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 15 ounces mixed salad beans, rinsed and drained
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly grease 10" deep dish pie plate.
- Wash spinach.
- Place spinach in large skillet with just the water that's clinging to the leaves.
- Cook, covered over low heat, until it just starts to wilt (about 2 minutes).
- Add corn and carrots and set aside.
- In a small pan, cook onion until soft.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add spinach, corn, and carrot mixture, beans, cheeses, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Stir until cheeses are evenly mixed throughout.
- Set aside.
- To make pie crust:.
- In a food processor using the blade attachment, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and baking soda until blended.
- Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- With the food processor running, pour the buttermilk into the feed tube and into the dough.
- Stop the machine as soon the dough begins to pull away from the sides.
- Allow dough to rest for two minutes.
- Transfer the dough onto a floured work surface and knead 4 or 5 times before patting it into a circle.
- Roll the dough out into a large enough circle to line the pie plate, with room to fold over the top of the filling (about 14" in diameter).
- Carefully place the rolled dough into the greased pie plate (don't worry if it falls apart a little, you'll be able to patch it up easily), allowing the edges to fall over the sides of the plate.
- Spread the filling over the pastry, then fold overhanging edges of pastry over the filling, patching up where necessary.
- Using a knife, cut two 2" slits in the top of the pastry.
- Bake on cookie sheet for 45 minutes.
- Allow to stand for ten minutes before cutting and serving.